Filter material for the rapid removal of nitrates
- Only for freshwater aquariums.
- Prevents and removes undesirable algae growth.
- 250 ml (170 g) absorbs 9000 mg nitrate.
- Filter bag included.
- Suited for multiple use through easy reactivation with common salt.
- There are two nitrate removers in the JBL range: JBL NitratEx offers quick help and is immediately effective from the first minute. Once the exchange capacity has been exhausted, it has to be regenerated with a sodium chloride solution (ion exchange principle). JBL BioNitrat EX is a substrate which provides a settlement area and food for nitrate-eliminating bacteria. After a certain activation period (several weeks) the bacteria break down the nitrate in a purely natural and biological way.
- Those who have no time to wait or who already want to clean nitrate from tap water should choose JBL NitratEx.
Type of product
|Volume packaging:||0.480 l|
|Gross weight:||200 g|
|Net weight:||170 g|
Does JBL NitratEx also filter iron out of the water ?
No, JBL NitratEx is a selective ion exchanger for nitrate. Besides this, nitrate has a negative charge in aqueous solutions, whereas iron is positive.
How does JBL NitratEx act?
How does JBL NitratEx act?JBL NitratEx acts as an ion exchanger that is regenerated with cooking salt. 250 ml bind 9,000 mg NO₃.
Where did my algae come from?
Algae problems in an aquarium can never be traced to just one factor or general condition, and instead, are always the result of a combination of different factors, which include light, fertilization, water changes – specifically, how often and how much – feeding, fish population and, of course, the specific water parameters.
According to analyses that were performed over a course of a number of years, red algae, at least the common brush algae and beard algae, occur in descending order at the following parameters:
1) too little carbon dioxide (in relationship to 100 % of the measured tank); the pH level should be in the slightly acetic range, depending on the carbonate hardness, in every case.
2) elevated phosphate levels (over 90 %); phosphate limitation by means of JBL PhosEx ultra is often helpful here.
3) too little and too irregular fertilization (there should always be traces of iron at least).
4) insufficient water changes; a weekly water change of over 30 % is recommended for algae problems.
5) not enough fast-growing plants.
Can I use the JBL PhosEx Ultra and JBL NitratEx simultaneously in an internal filter?
In principle, the NitratEx and PhosEx Ultra can both be used at the same time. However, please bear in mind that this reduces the other filter media as colonisation surfaces for the filter bacteria, which may affect the work of the filter in eliminating ammonium and nitrite.
Can I use JBL BioFerm and JBL NitratEx at the same time?
The combined use of both products is not recommended, as BioFerm weakens the effect of NitratEx.