The summer is coming to an end, the nights are getting colder and the temperature fluctuations from day to night are becoming more extreme. A lot of garden plants are still parched from the hot weather and the pond plants are mostly still in their full growth.
In the next few weeks, you’ll see the pond plants dying off below and above water. Now it is high time to act. If you take proper action now, by reducing the nutrient input and the existing nutrient sources, you can prevent algae problems in the coming year.
Your checklist - what to do
1. Dead leaves need to be collected or cut to prevent them from falling into the water and releasing the nutrients they contain. For some plants a radical pruning is recommended.
2. The existing algae surface should be extensively removed by mechanical means before the algae die off and return the bound phosphates to the water.
3. The frequency and intensity of the rainfall is increasing. That’s why you need to test the stability of the water weekly with the JBL PROAQUATEST POND Check pH/KH . If the carbonate hardness (KH) is less than 4 ° dKH or the pH value is outside 7.5-8.5, the stability should be restored by adding JBL StabiloPond Basis . Further information on heavy rainfall can be found here: Forte pluie – Attention aux paramètres d’eau de votre bassin – on water stability here: Checking the Pond’s Water Stability in Autumn and Winter .
4. At the bottom of the pond, you will find mud caused by dead leaves, food remains or pollen. This is a large source of nutrients and needs to be siphoned. At the same time you can carry out a small water change of 30-50 %, and thus dilute the nutrient balance. To facilitate the removal of the sludge, you can use JBL SediEX Pond , after siphoning the sludge with a sludge remover or catching it extensively with a fine net.
5. The aquatic plants and algae will only die off slowly, and other nutrients can be washed in by rainfall, so it is advisable to bind the algae-promoting substance phosphate. Here JBL PhosEX Pond filter can be used for the permanent binding in the filter. If you need to absorb large quantities quickly, because a test with the JBL PROAQUATEST PO4 Phosphate Sensitive has indicated high levels, you can use JBL PhosEX Pond Direct . This product may also be used for maintenance at regular intervals every 7-14 days if no filter is present.
6. As they die off the algae and plants will quickly clog up the filter and shorter cleaning intervals will be necessary. Remove the "dirt" in good time from the sponges or collecting trays. This will prevent some of the nutrients within from reaching the water.
Checking and taking these factors into account at regular intervals of 7-10 days will spare you problems with algae in the following year. We will give you further action recommendations for autumn, winter and spring at the start of each season here in the myJBL blog.